BOSTON (January 20, 2009) — On the same day that President Barack Obama was sworn in as the country's 44th president, Simmons alumna Gwen Ifill '77 released her new book, "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama" (2008, Doubleday). Ifill's book was promoted in The Boston Globe, and an excerpt appeared in The New York Times — both of which referenced Ifill's time as an undergraduate at Simmons.
To read the full New York Times excerpt, click here. To read the full Boston Globe article, click here.
The highly respected senior correspondent for PBS's The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and managing editor of Washington Week, Ifill moderated the a vice presidential debate last October between Senator Joseph Biden and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
Ifill spoke at the JFK Library this Thursday, Jan. 22, at 5:30 p.m. for a discussion with New York Times columnist Bob Herbert about her book and the election. For information or to register, visit the JFK library website.
- The Nation’s First School of Social Work, Simmons College School of Social Work, Welcomes Inaugural Class of Online Students
July 23, 2014
- Sub-Saharan African Students Attend U.S. Department of State Program on Women’s Leadership at Simmons College
July 17, 2014
- Simmons College Names New Vp For Enrollment Management, John F. Dolan
July 10, 2014
- Simmons College Names Regina M. Pisa Chair of Board of Trustees
June 25, 2014
- Contrary to Popular View, Working Women Do Negotiate For Career Success, Study Says
June 13, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight