BOSTON (January 20, 2009) — On the same day that President Barack Obama was sworn in as the country's 44th president, Simmons alumna Gwen Ifill '77 released her new book, "The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama" (2008, Doubleday). Ifill's book was promoted in The Boston Globe, and an excerpt appeared in The New York Times — both of which referenced Ifill's time as an undergraduate at Simmons.
To read the full New York Times excerpt, click here. To read the full Boston Globe article, click here.
The highly respected senior correspondent for PBS's The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer and managing editor of Washington Week, Ifill moderated the a vice presidential debate last October between Senator Joseph Biden and Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
Ifill spoke at the JFK Library this Thursday, Jan. 22, at 5:30 p.m. for a discussion with New York Times columnist Bob Herbert about her book and the election. For information or to register, visit the JFK library website.
- Simmons College Named to President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll 8 Years in a Row
December 17, 2014
- Top Leaders Join Simmons College and Girl Scouts to Support Girls
November 6, 2014
- Simmons College Hosts National Conversation on Gender Diversity on Corporate Boards, Nov. 20
November 5, 2014
- Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin and Media Mogul Arianna Huffington to Speak at 36th Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
October 15, 2014
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents Clara Lieu: Emerge
October 9, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight