BOSTON (April 23, 2009) — Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) has received a $1 million gift that pays tribute to the late Simmons Library and Information Science Professor Allen Smith. Dr. Smith's family made this gift from his estate to enhance a scholarship fund and create a visiting scholars program. It is the largest gift from an individual in the graduate school's history.
"Dr. Smith was a superlative teacher, a valued colleague, and a fascinating conversationalist," said Simmons GSLIS Dean Michèle Cloonan said. "We are pleased that his legacy at Simmons GSLIS will be recognized in perpetuity."
Dr. Smith was legendary at Simmons College for his expertise in oral history and the humanities. The gift will bring to campus scholars from the United States and abroad who have similar expertise. It also will enhance a scholarship previously created at Simmons GSLIS in Dr. Smith's honor. The scholarship provides annual support for selected Simmons GSLIS students in good academic standing who have demonstrated financial need and an interest in oral history, reference, or the humanities.
The nationally ranked Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science is one of the oldest and largest library and information science programs in the nation.
- Simmons College Named to President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll 8 Years in a Row
December 17, 2014
- Top Leaders Join Simmons College and Girl Scouts to Support Girls
November 6, 2014
- Simmons College Hosts National Conversation on Gender Diversity on Corporate Boards, Nov. 20
November 5, 2014
- Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin and Media Mogul Arianna Huffington to Speak at 36th Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
October 15, 2014
- Simmons College Trustman Art Gallery Presents Clara Lieu: Emerge
October 9, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2014 Release Archive
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight