BOSTON (December 15, 2010) — Simmons College announced today that its School of Health Sciences (SHS) has been renamed to the School of Nursing and Health Sciences (SNHS), effective January 1, 2011. The decision is part of Simmons's recent Academic Business Review and Strategic Plan, which focus on the best ways to position Simmons for long-term academic visibility and success.
"I am both excited and confident that this new name will help elevate the visibility and attractiveness of our School of Nursing and Health Sciences among prospective students regionally and nationally," said Simmons President Helen Drinan.
With the new School of Nursing and Health Sciences name, Simmons hopes to provide additional visibility and prestige to its nursing program, which is the largest undergraduate program, and one of the strongest programs at Simmons. Additionally, the college hopes the name change will provide greater access to federal research grants and fundraising opportunities, and allow Simmons to improve its competitive position.
Simmons will continue to support the other two graduate programs within the SNHS: nutrition and physical therapy, both of which are important programs for the College.
Founded in 1899, Simmons College is a nationally recognized university located in the heart of Boston. It includes an undergraduate college for women, and graduate programs for women and men in social work, health sciences, and library and information science. Simmons houses the first MBA program designed for women.
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight