As a public community college dedicated to the success of each student, Santa Barbara City College provides students a diverse learning environment that inspires curiosity and discovery, promotes global responsibility, and fosters opportunity for all.
Please apply at https://jobs.sbcc.edu
Application Deadline: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 @ 11:59 PM PST.
Essential Functions of Position:
Commencing Fall 2015, a full-time, tenure-track Librarian position will be available in the Santa Barbara City College Luria Library. We are seeking applicants who can participate in a dynamic team environment dedicated to collaboration, creativity, and innovation. We have a commitment to excellent customer service and student success.
Responsibilities include managing and coordinating the library's online presence, library website and web services, and online resources; daily maintenance and administration of the integrated library system; collaborating with campus technology to maintain technology infrastructure; and helping to create and maintain online instructional tools. Responsibilities also include providing reference services, both face-to-face and virtual, instructing students and faculty in the use of library resources and teaching classes in information competency/library skills, and collection development. Other responsibilities include full participation in departmental responsibilities and college service (such as committee assignments, co-curricular activities).
Additional responsibilities for this position available here.
Minimum Qualifications: The candidate must meet one of these criteria:
- Master's degree in library science, or library and information science, OR
- Combination of education and other accomplishments that is equivalent to the above. (If claiming equivalency, attach a separate statement that presents the basis for this claim and submit supporting evidence, e.g., transcripts, publications, and other work products.); OR
- Possession of a lifetime California Community College Librarian Credential.
- Professional experience in an academic library, preferably a community college.
- Demonstrated experience using web development tools (for instance, Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP / CSS); ability to design and manage websites, conduct usability studies, adhere to web accessibility standards, and create web pages which use responsive design principles.
- Demonstrated experience creating and maintaining blogs, videos, screencasts, and audio podcasts, and other web technologies; experience implementing, integrating and evaluating technologies and services.
- Experience in selecting and integrating electronic resources for peer review, product trials and selection, and producing reports to monitor usage of digital resources.
- Experience in administration, support and enhancement of a variety of library technology infrastructure tools and techniques, including an integrated library system, link resolvers, proxy server, and service configurations.
- Demonstrated experience teaching library research skills and information competency, including using instructional technology and online learning objects for delivery of instruction and interaction with students.
- Experience in working with students from diverse cultural, ethnic, socioeconomic, academic, and disability backgrounds, with a wide variance of information-seeking skills and technological competence.
- Knowledge of digital repository projects and metadata development and maintenance for local digital collections.
- Demonstrated skill in using a variety of devices, including mobile platforms, and Window and Mac platforms for multiple applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing environment and collaborate with various departmental service units.
Salary & Personnel Benefits:
The current salary schedule range for a entering tenure-track faculty member is $55,435-$85,364, plus an earned doctoral bonus of $2,771.75. Depending on the entry step, the faculty member increases one step each year and has the potential to reach the current maximum step of $96,656, depending on the educational level attained. Starting salary is commensurate with academic
preparation and full-time related, paid experience. In addition to salary each full-time employee participates in a "cafeteria style" Health & Welfare Benefits Program.
Completed online applications must be submitted by Wednesday, January 14, 2015 @ 11:59 PM PST.
Required Application Documents: (The following required documents must be submitted electronically via the online
- Online District Application form @ https://jobs.sbcc.edu
- Cover letter addressing the applicant's experience and the desirable qualifications listed in this announcement.
- CV or Resume.
- If claiming equivalency, attach a separate statement in the "Applicant Documents" section entitled, "Other". The statement presents the basis for this claim and submits supporting evidence, e.g. transcripts, publications, other products.
- Copy of college transcripts.**
- A minimum list of three professional references, with contact information, is required on the online application under "Professional References". A maximum of six professional references may be submitted if desired. These references will be contacted if you are selected as a finalist for the position. These references should be able to critically assess your work qualifications and job performance. Preferred references include: current department chair, immediate past department chair, current Dean, immediate past Dean, one current faculty colleague and one current student, or appropriate equivalent references.
- Letters of recommendation are not required but are strongly preferred by the committee. You may attach up to three letters of recommendation found under "Applicant Documents" in the field entitled, "Letters of Reference or Confidential Placement File".
**Please scan transcripts & certificates/licenses, if applicable, and submit electronically as attachments to your online application. If you experience technical difficulties attaching your transcripts electronically, please contact Human Resources for instructions. If you do not have a scanner, there are commercial facilities available to assist you with this process. All required documents must be submitted with your electronic application by the application deadline or your application will be considered incomplete and will not be considered.
Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from an official USA certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached to the online application. For a list of recognized organizations providing transcript evaluation
services, visit http://www.naces.org/members.htm.
To be considered for this position, a complete online application including all required application documents (listed above) must be submitted via https://jobs.sbcc.edu by the above application deadline (please see above instructions to applicants). It is important that the online District Application form (Item #1 above) be complete and specific to fully indicate education, experience and other qualifications of the applicant. "See Resume" is not acceptable.
You may attach additional supporting material to the online application under "Applicant Documents" section entitled, "Other." If you apply for more than one position, copies of all the required documents must be attached separately for each position. Applications and all documents submitted become the property of SBCC and are retained electronically.
Please Note: You will receive a confirmation number when your application has been successfully submitted online.
Online applications will be initially reviewed by the selection committee, who will recommend candidates for personal interviews at SBCC. A teaching demonstration and in-person interview will be required for selected applicants. After the initial interviews have been conducted, the committee, the Department Chair, and the Dean will recommend the top candidates to the Superintendent/President for a final interview. The successful candidate's name will then be presented to the Board of Trustees for approval.
Please Note: Santa Barbara City College regrets that applicants cannot be reimbursed for expenses related to the application or interview process, including travel expenses.
Accommodation for Applicants with Disabilities:
If you are selected for an interview and need special services or facilities to participate in the interview, please contact Human Resources. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
General Requirements to be submitted Upon Offer of Employment:
- Satisfactory results from prescribed job-related medical examination, including recent evidence of freedom from active tuberculosis.
- Satisfactory fingerprint report.
- Documentation verifying identity and United States citizenship or authorization that you have the right to work in the United States permanently and do not now or in the future require sponsorship by Santa Barbara City College or other hiring institutions.
- Official transcripts conferring college degrees indicated on the employment application.
WORKING CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Indoor instructional laboratory and classroom work environment
Subject to variable work hours
Driving a vehicle to conduct work
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (with or without provision of responsible accommodation)
Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
Ability to remain in a stationary position (sitting or standing) for an extended period of time.
Communicating and expressing oneself clearly on a variety of topics in conversations with, and presentations to, staff, students, and members of the community.
Reaching overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
Reaching, bending and stooping to retrieve materials.
Lifting, carrying materials to and from teaching location.
Pushing, pulling assistive tools for transporting materials.
Regular operation of a computer keyboard, calculator, and other normal office equipment.
Reading a variety of complex materials.
Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of Community College Students.
Mobility as required on campus and between locations as able to monitor student activities required.
For all Full Time Faculty openings, deadlines, and link to online application, please visit our website at: https://jobs.sbcc.edu
Santa Barbara City College,
721 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394
(805) 965-0581Ext. 2258
Interviews by Invitation Only
SBCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, sex, race, color, ancestry, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or physical or mental disability, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, consistent with applicable federal and state laws. Reasonable accommodation will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.