posted October 29, 2014 11:51 AM
The Freedom Public Library is looking for a vibrant and creative service-oriented Assistant Librarian, working under the supervision of the Library Director. This position will satisfy someone who is both people-oriented and detail-oriented, who thrives on variety and who enjoys working with children and teens.
- Acts as circulation manager, handling overdues and overseeing all aspects of circulation services including transactions and patron registration.
- Catalogs, processes and repairs library materials.
- Provides basic information and reference service and reader's advisory.
- Helps patrons with technology questions.
- Helps with computer updates.
- Trains, supervises and coordinates library volunteers.
- Develops and leads teen programs.
- Assists in creating promotional materials and online publicity.
- Opens and closes the library.
- Maintains the library's appearance.
- Assists with youth programs.
- In the absence of the Director, oversees all library operations.
- Attends trainings, meetings and conferences for professional growth.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- An MLS from an accredited college is preferred. A suitable combination of education and experience demonstrating mastery of the required knowledge, skills and abilities will also be considered.
- Enthusiasm for providing quality public service is essential. Must be friendly, outgoing, welcoming and discreet.
- Computer competence is required. Being a computer whiz is highly desired!
- Experience in and enjoyment of working with children and teens are strongly desired.
- Ability to supervise and delegate is needed.
- Flexibility, excellent verbal and written communication skills, superior interpersonal skills and teamwork are essential.
- The ability to work effectively in an environment with many distractions and interruptions is necessary.
Schedule and Salary:
This is a salaried position requiring an average of 25 hours per week. Assistant Librarian arrives 15 minutes prior to posted library hours and works open hours or as negotiated with the Library Director. Assistant Librarian is expected to work outside of normal hours to attend and/or lead programs, attend workshops and meetings or conduct other library business as needed. Salary is $20,800 per year. This position offers paid holidays, sick days and two weeks' vacation.
Send resume, cover letter and names & contact information for three references to email@example.com or mail to
Freedom Public Library
PO Box 159
Freedom, NH 03836
Application deadline: Monday, November 17, 2014
Please email rather than calling.