On this page:


The emergency phone number in the U.S. is 911. If you are experiencing severe medical distress, have been the victim of a crime, or see a fire, dial 911 on any phone. (911 calls are free on payphones.) This will connect you with an emergency dispatcher, and is the quickest way to summon an ambulance, the police, or the fire department.

If you are ill or injured but do not require an emergency response, you can go to the Simmons Health Center, located on the Simmons Residence Campus.

Health Insurance

The United States does not have a socialized or national system of health care, and medical treatment is extremely expensive. International students are required by Simmons College to purchase the university health insurance plan. Detailed information about costs and services is provided by the Simmons Health Center and Student Financial Services.


If you are traveling with any prescription medication, and/or will need a prescription refill while residing in the U.S., be sure to bring a copy of the prescription with the name of the drug and its generic equivalent. U.S. pharmacies carry many "over-the-counter" medications to treat headaches, cold and flu symptoms, allergies, and other minor illnesses. If you're not sure what to get, you can ask the pharmacist for advice.

Have a question, comment or a tip you'd like to share? Please e-mail gslisweb@simmons.edu.