On this page:

Driver's License

If you wish to drive during your stay in the United States, you may need to obtain a Massachusetts driver's license. The application is available from the Registry of Motor Vehicles office or online. At the time of application, you must present a valid passport, immigration documentation, social security number, and proof of residence in the state of Massachusetts. To receive a license, you must pass a written test, an eye exam, and a driving test, as well as pay a fee.

Liquor Identification Card

If you do not want a driver's license, but want an identification card that can be used to purchase alcoholic beverages (if you are over 21 years of age), you can get a Massachusetts Liquor ID. To receive this ID, you must pay a fee, submit an application, and show a valid passport, social security card, proof of birth date, and proof of signature. Many bars and clubs won't let you in if you don't show proper ID, so this card can be useful if you don't want to carry around your passport.

Licenses and ID cards can be obtained at the Registry of Motor Vehicles, located at 630 Washington Street near the Chinatown MBTA stop. The RMV is open Monday to Wednesday, and Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Thursday 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.. For full details about these ID cards, including fees and application procedures, visit the website of the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

Social Security Card

If you think you may be eligible for a social security number, you should apply for one soon after arriving in the United States.

A list of qualifications and instructions, as well as the application form, can be found at http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10096.html. The two Social Security offices most convenient to Simmons are:

O'Neil Federal Building
10 Causeway Street

209 Harvard Avenue

Student Identification Card

Your student ID, or Fenway Card, is available from the Campus Card Office in the Main Campus Building of Simmons College. To get your card, you need to present an ID (passports are acceptable). It is important that you get this card soon after arriving, as you will need it to open your bank account.For more information, please see the Campus Card website.

Have a question, comment or a tip you'd like to share? Please e-mail gslisweb@simmons.edu.