Please note that the URLs to specific forms listed below can all be found on the Forms page.

For more information, you may also wish to visit the Courses & Registration page.

Can I change advisors or academic programs?

Yes. Print a Change of Advisor form, available on the Forms page. Once completed, submit this form at the Student Services Office in Suite P212 in Boston or email to

If you are changing your academic program (for example: to or from general, archives, or school library teacher), you are also encouraged to change your advisor to a faculty member better suited to offer guidance in your new area of focus. Students moving into or out of the SLT or Archives programs are required to change advisors.

What happens if I add or drop a course—will I lose money?

Refunds depend on how many class sessions have already taken place. To read the refund policy, visit the Student Accounts page.

If I feel overqualified for any of the core courses, can I petition to waive the requirement?

Once you have completed nine credits in the program, you can fill out a petition to waive a particular requirement and submit it to Dr. Em Claire Knowles, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, for discussion at a monthly faculty meeting. You will need to supply information to back up your petition. It's also a good idea to speak to your faculty advisor about your petition. If your advisor agrees, your advisor may advocate for you in the faculty meeting. Carefully read the instruction on the Petition for Transfer of Credit/Waiver Form on the Forms page. After the faculty meeting you will receive a letter stating whether or not your petition has been granted.

How much can I reasonably work while enrolled?

This is another good question to discuss with your faculty advisor, who can help you take your experience and workload into account.

I need to fill out a form for . . .

For information on other policies, such as Name/Address/Phone Changes, Registration, and Leave of Absence refer to the Forms and Policies page.

Where can I go for guidance if I've already registered and worry that I'll need to change my first semester courses?

If this is the case, we recommend that you contact your faculty advisor for guidance. For the first semester, taking core courses is recommended.

Where can I find out what other students think about professors and courses?

Binders containing student evaluations are located in the foyer by the SLIS lounge, Suite P-212.

To view the SLIS Faculty Directory for a brief background on each faculty member (full-time and adjunct), visit the Faculty pages.

Whom can I contact if I have general questions?

Dr. Em Claire Knowles, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Office: P-212L
Phone: 617-521-2798

Revised December 2014