Please note that the URLs to specific forms listed below can all be found on the Forms page.

For more information, you may also wish to visit the Courses & Registration page of the New Students Community.

Can I change advisors or academic programs?

Yes. Print a Change of Advisor form, available on the Forms page. Once completed, submit this form to the Student Services Center in Boston or email it to them at

SLIS West students who are in the Archival Management program or the School Library Teacher Program may be advised by the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and the respective program director.

If you are changing your academic program (for example: to or from general, archives, or school library teacher), you are also encouraged to change your advisor to a faculty member better suited to offer guidance in your new area of focus. Students moving into or out of the SLT or Archives programs are required to change advisors.

If I feel overqualified for any of the core courses, can I petition to waive the requirement?

Once you have completed nine credits in the program, you can fill out a petition to waive a particular requirement and submit it to Dr. Em Claire Knowles, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, for discussion at a monthly faculty meeting. You will need to supply information to back up your petition. It's also a good idea to speak to your faculty advisor about your petition. If your advisor agrees, your advisor may advocate for you in the faculty meeting. Carefully read the instruction on the Petition for Transfer of Credit/Waiver Form on the Forms page. After the faculty meeting you will receive a letter stating whether or not your petition has been granted.

How much can I reasonably work while enrolled?

This is another good question to discuss with your faculty advisor, who can help you take your experience and workload into account.

I need to fill out a form for . . .

For information on other policies, such as Name/Address/Phone Changes, Registration, and Leave of Absence refer to the Forms and Policies page.

Where can I go for guidance if I've already registered and worry that I'll need to change my first semester courses?

If this is the case, we recommend that you contact your faculty advisor for guidance. For the first semester, taking core courses is recommended.

Where can I find out what other students think about professors and courses?

Binders containing student evaluations are available on the Boston campus on the 2nd floor of the Palace Road Building, just outside the Student Services Center which is located in Suite P212. If you will not be coming to the Boston campus and need information on a particular course, please email and we can assist you. Please indicate the course #, section # and name of faculty.

To view the SLIS Faculty Directory for a brief background on each faculty member (full-time and adjunct), visit the Faculty pages.

Whom can I contact if I have general questions?

Dr. Em Claire Knowles, Assistant Dean for Student Affairs
Office: P-212L
Phone: 617-521-2798