Skip to this page's content Skip to the sitemap

Post-Master's Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (C.A.G.S.) Health Professions Education


Thank you for your interest in Simmons. This page describes the requirements and procedures for applying to the Certificate in Advanced Graduate Study in Health Professions Education(CAGS HP ED). If you have questions, please check the FAQs on the website first, and then feel free to email us at or call us at 617-521-2605. Note that our TOEFL code is 3761 and our FAFSA Code is 002208.

If you require an F-1 visa to study in the U.S., you must be accepted to and enrolled full time in a degree-seeking program. The CAGS HP ED program is not a fulltime program,thus, individuals requiring an F-1 visa are not eligible to apply. Taking courses on a non-degree basis is not possible.

If you hold an H visa, please contact the Office of Admission at 617-521-2605 or to determine if you are eligible to apply. Please be certain to tell us what type of H visa you hold,when/where you earned your bachelor's and master's degrees.

Application Procedure

All applicants must submit the following :

  1. An electronic application and all supporting paper materials.
  2. A non-refundable application fee of $50(unless an appropriate waiver code is included: SNHS will provide this code).
  3. All official undergraduate and graduate transcripts (whether or not a degree was awarded or if the courses were taken some time ago, were not specific to the program for which you are applying, or appear on another transcript as study abroad or transfer credit). Student copies are not considered official. Allow ample time to request transcripts so that you can submit them by the deadline date.
  4. If you were born outside of the U.S. but have U.S. citizenship, please provide evidence such as a copy of your U.S. Passport. Photocopies are not legible.
  5. Three letters of recommendation (one from an employment supervisor and if possible one from a faculty member) on letterhead stationery with original signatures in signed, sealed envelopes. These individuals should not represent a single facility or institution. See the recommendation forms in the link below.

Sent separately: TOEFL

Applicants whose first language is not English must submit an official TOEFL score from the Educational Testing Service (ETS), taken within two years prior to the application deadline. The official score report must be sent directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to SNHS. Copies of student score reports are not acceptable.

The TOEFL requirement is based on native language, not citizenship status. No other English proficiency exam will be accepted. The TOEFL is waived for applicants who have graduated at the bachelor's or master's level from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or a post secondary institution abroad that is recognized by the Ministry of Education in the host country in English- speaking countries only.

Required Scores: 600(paper based), 250(computer based) or 100(internet based)

Since there are six admission offices at Simmons, send all required paper materials to:

School of Nursing and Health Sciences
Simmons College
Office of Admission
Room S332
300 The Fenway
Boston, MA 02115-5898

Application Deadline Dates

  • October 1 for Spring (January) entry
  • June 1 for Fall (September) entry

Note: There is no guarantee that late or incomplete applications will be considered.


Academic Records: Transcripts

Official transcripts for all courses completed (undergraduate and graduate) at regionally accredited institutions,whether or not a degree was awarded or regardless of when the courses were taken or if the courses are specific to the SNHS program you are applying to are required. This requirement includes courses which appear on another transcript as transfer or study abroad credit. If you attended a study abroad program and a separate transcript exists, send that as well. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded. Such transcripts must be received in signed/sealed envelopes. Photocopies or copies "issued to student" are not acceptable.

If you earned a degree abroad, academic records must include end of year marks sheets for each year of attendance, not just final exam results or a copy of the degree. Educational documents should clearly indicate the degree and date awarded. Overseas post-secondary institutions must be recognized by the Ministry of Education in the home country. Academic records in the native language and an official English translation (if needed) are required. English translations must be provided by someone other than the applicant, family member or friend. It may also be necessary for the applicant to submit an interpretation by a foreign credential services agency. Interpretations of foreign credentials by an evaluation service do not replace official academic records. These evaluations are assessments of the curriculum and are not accepted in lieu of official academic documents. Contact our office at 617-521-2605 to determine if this is needed. When you call, please be prepared to provide the name of the institution and country where the degree was earned.

For applicants who have taken courses in the U.S. or earned a degree in the U.S., request an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) so that you can refer to it/them when completing the required GPA calculations in the application. If you receive officially signed/sealed envelopes from an institution, do not open them before submitting as this will render the transcript as unofficial.

GPA Calculations

You are required to calculate and submit GPA calculations for undergraduate and graduate courses.

To assist you in calculating GPAs, please refer to the Grading Scale below:


 The recommendation forms are embedded in the application. Instructions are provided in that section of the application. All recommendations should be written on official preprinted letterhead stationery,not on a computer-generated template. Recommendations should include original signatures. Email addresses for recommendators at organizations or places of employment are preferred rather than personal email addresses. All recommendations with personal email addresses will be verified.