Professor; Senior Faculty Affiliate, Center for Gender in Organizations
Ph.D., University of Michigan
Organizational Behavior, Mentoring, Diversity
Stacy Blake-Beard is a Professor of Management at the Simmons School of Management where she teaches organizational behavior. She is also Faculty Affiliate at the Center for Gender in Organizations at Simmons and Visiting Faculty at the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad, India. Prior to joining Simmons, Dr. Blake-Beard was faculty at the Harvard University Graduate School of Education. She has also worked in sales and marketing at Procter & Gamble and in the corporate human resources department at Xerox. Dr. Blake-Beard holds a BS in Psychology from the University of Maryland at College Park and an MA and a Ph.D. in Organizational Psychology from the University of Michigan.
Dr. Blake-Beard's research focuses on the challenges and opportunities offered by mentoring relationships, with a focus on how these relationships may be changing as a result of increasing workforce diversity. She is particularly interested in the issues women face as they develop mentoring relationships. She also studies the dynamics of formal mentoring programs in both corporate and educational settings. Dr. Blake-Beard has published research on gender, diversity, and mentoring in several publications including the Journal of Career Development, the Academy of Management Executive, the Psychology of Women Quarterly, Journal of Management Development, the Journal of Business Ethics, Human Resource Management Journal and The Diversity Factor. She has received a 2010-2011 Fulbright Award to support her project, entitled "Systems of Sustenance and Support: Exploring the Impact of Mentoring on the Career Experiences of Indian Women," in partnership with the Center for Leadership, Innovation and Change at the Indian School of Business in Hyderabad, India.
Dr. Blake-Beard sits on the advisory board of a number of organizations, including MentorNet, Teen Voices, the Harvard Project on Tenure, and the Harvard Medical School Center for the Study of Diversity in Science. Dr. Blake-Beard has been the recipient of numerous grants and fellowships, including awards from the National Science Foundation, the Ford Foundation and the Robert Toigo Foundation. She has given seminars for and consulted on a wide range of topics, including effectively leveraging diversity, implementing formal mentoring programs, gender and leadership, bystander awareness training, unconscious bias, managing visibility, career action planning and team-building. Organizations with which she has consulted include Infosys, EMC, Hewlett Packard, Jobs for the Future, The Partnership, IBM, Cisco, The Robert Toigo Foundation, Bank of America, Chase Manhattan Bank, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Swissotel, PepsiCo, Goldman Sachs, Intel, Linkage, AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly, Boston Chamber of Commerce, The Conference Board, Massachusetts General Hospital, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Cambridge Hospital, Boston University, Connecticut College, University of Connecticut, University of Michigan, University of Texas, University of California, Harvard University, Boston Public School District, The PhD Project, The Compact for Faculty Diversity, New Leaders for New Schools and Working Mother Media.
- Leading Individuals and Groups (MBA, MBAH)
- Gender, Diversity & Leadership in Organizations (MBA)
- Independent Study (MBA)
- Internship (MBA)
- Simmons Executive Education Programs (Merck, Boston Chamber of Commerce, Strategic Leadership for Women, EMC)
- Academy of Management
- American Psychological Association
- National Association of Black MBAs
- Blake-Beard, S. D. "Lifting as We Climb: The Importance of Developmental Support in Creating the Next Generation of Diverse Leaders" (May, 2013). Invited presentation to the Social-Organizational Colloquium, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY.
- Blake-Beard, S. D. "Using Power to Influence Outcomes." (May, 2013). Invited presentation to the Toigo Foundation, New York, NY.
- Blake-Beard, S. D. "Harnessing the Power of Diversity by Uncovering Unconscious Bias" (January, 2013). Invited presentation to the SP Jain Institute of Management & Research Human Resources Academic Conclave, Mumbai, India.
- Blake-Beard, S. D. "New UN PRME Project to advance the teaching of gender issues in [management education] worldwide." (August, 2012). Organizer and Chair for the Gender and Diversity in Organization's Showcase Session at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Moore, L., Blake-Beard, S. D., & Betters-Reed, B. "Complicating identity and context: Global and cross-cultural perspectives on women leaders." (August, 2012). Organizer for a professional development workshop at the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Shapiro, M., Ingols, C. & Blake-Beard, S. "Women and power." (May, 2012). Invited podcast for the Journal of Management Education podcast series.
- Blake-Beard, S. D. "Managing your visibility." (May, 2012). Invited presentation to the EMC Bootcamp at Odyssey Network Conference. Huntington Beach, CA.
- Blake-Beard, S. D. "Building strategic relationships." (May, 2012). Invited presentation to the Simmons College-Brown Brothers Harriman Executive Education Program, Boston. MA.
- Blake-Beard, S. D, "Making mentoring work: Creating and leveraging effective mentoring relationships." (April, 2012), Invited webinar for the Forte Foundation's Women Lead Webinar Series.
- 2009: Presentation for Spanish Students in Women's Leadership Program, Prepared an interactive lecture for approximately 20 Spanish students participating in a women's leadership program, Boston, Massachusetts (Local).