Associate Professor; Chair, Health Care Administration Programs
- B.S. Duke University
- M.S. Ohio State University
- Postgraduate Fellowship, W.K. Kellogg Foundation
- Ph.D. University of Illinois/Chicago
Dr. Lowe has taught at Simmons College for 19 years. He teaches patient safety and quality, health systems, and operations management in the MHA, AMHA and HCMBA curricula. In curriculum research and development, Dr. Lowe was principal investigator on a project funded by the National Center for Health Care Leadership to incorporate leadership competencies into health management curricula and was co-principal investigator on a Helene Fuld Fund grant to incorporate continuous improvement methodologies into the community-health nursing curriculum at Simmons.
Dr. Lowe conducts research on using continuous improvement methodologies to address community health issues (such as teen pregnancy, domestic violence, and adolescent health). He also investigates best practices in health care organization governance function and structure and the application and use of diversity metrics for senior leadership and management in health care organizations.
Previously, he was a member of the Health Professions Education committee of the Mayor's Task Force on Health Disparities in Boston. He directed a study panel for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health on breast and cervical cancer screening for uninsured women and co-authored a study of post-9/11 mental health and substance abuse services for adolescents in Somerville, Massachusetts, and a community health report card in Mattapan, Massachusetts. Dr. Lowe also directed school-based health center needs assessment projects in Boston and Fall River, Massachusetts.
Dr. Lowe is vice chair of the board of the Emerson Health System, Concord, Massachusetts. He is chair of the Trustee Advisory Council of the Massachusetts Hospital Association (MHA) and is on the board of the MHA. He serves on the Regional Policy Board (New England) of the American Hospital Association. Dr. Lowe also serves on the Committee for the Filerman Prize for Excellence in Teaching of the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA). Previously, he chaired the board of AUPHA and served as chair of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) Committee on Higher Education and Research. He also served on the editorial board of the Health Administration Press of ACHE.
Before coming to Simmons, Dr. Lowe was research associate in urban planning at the University of Illinois at Chicago, vice president of the Hospital Research and Educational Trust, research affiliate of the American Hospital Association in Chicago, and dean for development and administration at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia.
- Lowe, John, "Curing the Business of Health Care," Management Magazine, 1:1, 2012, p. 16-19.
- Sherril, Windsor, Westerman, John, Howell, R. Edward, and Lowe, John, "Mentoring in Health Services Management," The Health Care Manager, 31:1, 2012, p. 44-51.
- Teeley, Karen, Lowe, John, Beal, Judy and Knapp, Marian, Incorporating Quality Improvement Concepts and Practice into a Community Health Nursing Course, Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 45 (2), pp. 86-90, 2006.
- Young, Azzie, Knapp, Marian and Lowe, John, "Community Health Report Card for Mattapan and Hyde Park," Health Care Revival 2003, (Mattapan Community Health Center: Boston), 2003.
- Gall, Gail, Lowe, John and Hacker, Karen, A Resource Mapping Project of Substance Abuse and Mental Health Needs and Resources of Somerville High School Students, (Cambridge Health Alliance: Cambridge, MA), 2003.
- "How are You, Your Doctor, and Simmons College Responding to Health Care Reform?" South Shore Simmons Club, invited presentation, April 25, 2012
- "New Spin on Collegiate Business Model: SOM and Online Learning," Simmons College School of Management Alumnae Day, invited presentation, April 2, 2011
- "Surviving the Performance Expectations of Health Reform," Management Grand Rounds, Children's Hospital Boston, invited presentation, March 2, 2011
- "Board's Role in Quality and Safety," 9th Quality Colloquium Track V: Governance for Quality and Patient Safety, Harvard University, invited panel presentation, August 18, 2010
- "Joy in Work: the Research Basis for Liking What We Do," Symposium on Teaching and Learning, Dartmouth University, invited presentation, July 19, 2010
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, Graduate Program in Health Policy and Management, Ohio State University, 2006
- Linda Roemer Award for Excellence in Community Service, School for Health Studies, Simmons College, 2005
- National Center for Healthcare Leadership, Graduate Health Management Education Demonstration Project, 2004-08.