Field Education faculty and staff work closely with students and agency field instructors to ensure quality learning experiences for students. The Field Education Department is on the third floor of the Palace Rd. building in suite P304. Contact email@example.com or 617-521-3943.
Check this page regularly for updates and current information pertaining to field placements.
Important Information for Starting Your Field Placement from Ellen Goodman, Director of Field Education
The following important information for all students in a field placement in 2013-14 may be helpful as you prepare for your placement and begin the academic year:
PLACEMENT START DATES
- Year II students commence placement the week of September 3rd
- Year I students commence placement the week of September 17th
- The specific day of the week you start is dependent on your days in Field
Please contact your agency to confirm details about your first day. If you need a criminal record check (CORI) or medical tests/immunizations, please make sure to start this process prior to beginning your Field Placement. Delays will likely impact your ability to commence placement or begin your direct work with clients on time.
- Your agency may require you to attend an orientation prior to the first week of placement
- If you have any scheduling conflicts with Simmons classes, please contact your instructor or the Field Department
STUDENT ORIENTATION TO FIELD
- Orientation to Field is required for all students in a Year I placement; Advanced Standing students are welcome to attend
- Orientation is on Monday, September 9th, from 8:30a-4:30p in the Linda K. Paresky Center (3rd floor of the Main College building). Lunch will be provided.
- Content includes: An Introduction to Field Learning and Supervision; Use of Process Recordings; group Meet Your Advisor meetings over lunch; Safety in the Field
- The Field Manual can be accessed online
- All policies, procedures, learning goals and forms are included in this manual
- The Field Placement Calendar & Due Dates can be accessed online
REGISTRATION FOR FIELD
Please make sure you have registered for the correct section of Field:
- Year I, 24 hours/week: 446A-01
- Year I, 16 hours/week: 446A-02
- Year II, 24 hours/week: 447A-01
- Year II, 16 hours/week: 447A-02
- Advanced Standing: 596-01
- OYO: 547-01
All students in Field must also be registered for a Practice class: Year I Field: Social Work Practice (421); Year II Field: Advanced Practice (424).
- Advising assignments will be posted on the Simmons College School of Social Work website and on the board across from the student mailboxes on the 4th floor
- Year I students will also receive the name of their advisor at the Orientation to Field
- All students should plan to schedule an individual meeting time with their advisor during September/early October
PLANNING FOR THE YR II PLACEMENT
- All students going into Year II placement in the fall of 2014 are required to attend one Year II Placement Planning Information Workshop
- The dates of these Workshops will be posted in August of 2013
- Please prepare to set aside time to attend one of the workshops
Are you a Field Agency? We have a section of our site specifically created for you. Visit For Field Agencies »