Course descriptions are provided for available courses AND their prerequisites. View a list of courses offered during the Summer 2012 term.
This course information is derived from the Online Course Catalog, which is under development. The information may not be accurate and is provided only as a convenience. Please consult the print or PDF version of the Course Catalog for all official course information.
SW421B: Social Work Practice (required) The second semester of the yearlong course will focus on the action of social work practice, and on various ways of reflecting on that action. The course will continue and deepen application of the basic processes of social work practice to a wide range of issues and problems. In the first semester, particular attention has been given to a multilevel approach to assessment and intervention, and developing the skills sets that facilitate the helper-client relationship. In this semester, we will continue to deepen knowledge and skill in assessment, intervention and differential use of self, while introducing a variety of practice circumstances and contexts including societal and family violence, trauma, substance dependence and several theoretical and practice approaches including cognitive behavioral and psychodynamic. We will examine practice situations through case discussions, videotapes, role-plays, and experiential exercises. Prerequisite SW421A. Two consecutive semesters of SW421 are required: SW421A and SW421B. Students must register for the same section each semester.
- Course number: SW-421B
- Credits: 3.00
- Academic Level: Graduate
- Currently Offered: Yes
- Course Type: Lecture
Pre-requisite for this course
- SW-421A Social Work Practice
Co-requisite for this course
- SW-425 Family Approaches
- SW-446B Field Year 1
- SW-494 Multiple Faces of Trauma
- SW-507 Interdiscip App Health Mgmt
- SW-509 Evaluation in SW Practice
- SW-528 Child and Adolescent Trauma
- SW-529 Clinical SW Forensic Settings
- SW-566 Play Therapy: Theroy & Tech.
- SW-571 Clinical SW With Addictions
- SW-578 Perspec Severe Mental Illness
- SW-582 Attachment, Neurobio & SW Prac
- SW-584 Cl Pract Indiv: Psychodynamic
- SW-587 Asmt & Treat Co-Occurring Diso
- SW-588 Evidence Based Child Trauma
- SW-589 DBT in Clinical SW Practice