Skip to this page's content


Online Summer Housing Application

Students who complete their application by 11:59 pm on Monday, April 21, 2014 will receive priority when our office creates summer assignments.

The Office of Residence Life sets aside a limited number of rooms to be used during the summer. Housing is not guaranteed. Once all summer rooms are filled we will let students know that they should pursue other accommodations.

Housing assignments are expected to be ready the last week of April. Priority is given to those applications completed by the priority deadline as well as individuals taking summer classes.

Fill out your Summer Housing Application online »

Dates & Rates

Summer housing officially starts Saturday, May 10, 2014; this is the first official date of housing for students who are not current residents.

Current residents transitioning from their academic year room will be housed from the last day of residency (Sunday, May 4, 2014) until summer housing begins. This is considered one week of housing, and students are charged accordingly. The minimum stay required is three weeks.

The Summer 2014 housing rates are as follows:

Summer Session I
Room Type Rate
Single $185/week
Double $140/week

Summer Housing FAQ

Who can stay?

  • Residence Life houses current Simmons College students and students taking classes at Simmons College during the summer. If you are a student during the academic year you do not need to be in classes during summer to sign up for on-campus housing. However, space is limited and priority will be given to those students who are taking summer classes. The minimum stay required is three weeks.
  • Graduate students and Dix Scholars wanting to live on campus during the summer have the option of staying in their same room. If they have chosen a new room for the fall, they will be able to move into that room during the summer provided that it is available.
  • Students must have a $250 housing deposit on file. If you are a current resident student, then you should already have a deposit. If you have lived on campus in the past and are not sure whether or not you still have a deposit on file, please contact Student Financial Services. If you have never lived on campus, please pay online here or fill out the General Housing Deposit form, along with a $250 check addressed to Simmons College.

Where do students live during the summer?

  • Summer residents will be housed in North and South according to space availability. Preference for singles will be given to graduate students/Dix Scholars who are continuing residents from the academic year.

How does transitioning from my old room to my summer assignment work?

  • For all "transition" periods, students are billed at the weekly summer rate.
  • At the beginning of summer, students who are currently in residential housing will be given the time to move their summer space. We call this period "transition" because there is not one day, date, or time when everyone moves. We contact each student individually when their new space is ready to arrange a time for them to move. The student will be billed at the summer weekly rate for this time.
  • At the end of summer any student that will be living on campus for the fall semester can remain on campus for the additional weeks and will move from their summer housing assignment directly to their fall housing assignment. The student will be billed at the summer weekly rate for this time.
  • The majority of graduate students who live in summer housing will stay in the room that they had in the spring. If a graduate student is transitioning to a new room in the fall, we will work with them individually to make that switch happen. The student will be billed at the summer weekly rate for this time.

How do I pay for summer housing?

  • Student Financial Service will bill you for your summer room. Payment can also be taken as check, money order, or cash at the Cashier window.

What kind of spaces do you have available?

  • Single and double rooms are available during the summer. We will house students in North and South. We charge by the week. Residential meal plans are not available during the summer, however we do encourage students to think about a voluntary meal plan (see details below). Microfridge charges are extra.
  • North 4th & 5th floors are designated as single gender. North 1st-3rd are open to all students, and have mix-gender bathrooms. South 1st-3rd & 5th floor are single gender. The 4th floor of South may be used for summer conference guests and the bathroom and common spaces in South hall may be used of guests/students of any gender identity.

What dining options and meal plans are available to me?

Can I buy a meal plan?

  • Students can purchase a voluntary meal plan for the summer. The options for the meal plans can be found at the Campus Dish website. The plan will not expire if you do not use all points over the summer, and you will be able use any remaining points during the academic year.

Where can I eat during the summer?

  • The Fens will be open all summer. However, the Fens Café will not be open for dinner. Bartol's summer schedule is dependent on the conference schedule and will be closed for all meals during some weeks. Students can get three meals a day from campus dining, but it will require planning and possibly getting a take-out dinner from the Fens earlier in the day.

Are there other options for eating on campus?

  • There are kitchens and two full-sized refrigerators in both North and South halls. Students are welcome to store food in the refrigerator while they are staying on-campus, and make use of the kitchens for their meals. There is a kitchen on both the first floor and in the basement of South hall and a kitchen in the basement of North hall. Students are also welcome to rent a microfridge for the summer for use in their room.

How do I request Special Accommodations?

  • Medical documentation for a request based on medical needs must be received by the Office of Disability Services to determine the necessity of the request.
  • Please go to the Simmons Disability Services website for information and necessary medical documentation forms.

How does check-in and check-out work?

  • Each week runs from the Friday of one week to the Saturday of the next (for instance, Friday, May 10 to Saturday, May 18). On the first day of paid occupancy, students may come to the Office of Residence Life between 8:30am and 4:30pm to sign out the key to their room. On the last day of paid occupancy, students are expected to be out of their room and have the key returned by 5:00pm.
  • After you complete your move, you should check in with an RA to complete an inspection and sign your room condition report (RCR). You have the option to choose to have an "express checkout." In this case, you would not have to sign RCR but you waive the right to contest any damage charges. Once you have completed your check out, you can come into the Office of Residence Life to sign your key back in OR drop off your key in the key drop box located in your hall if it is outside of office hours. If for any reason we have not received your key within two business days of your move, your room will be recored and you will be billed $50.

Residence Life

Learn more about life on campus. Visit our Residence Life page.