- Chair and Professor of Sociology
- 300 The Fenway - C-205B , MA
Becky Thompson is a writer, teacher, and activist. Her books include Fingernails Across the Chalkboard: Poetry and Prose on HIV/AIDS From the Black Disapora; When the Center is on Fire, A Promise and A Way of Life; and Mothering without a Compass.
Her recent poems appear in the Harvard Review, We Begin Here: For Palestine and Lebanon, Warpland: A Journal of Black Literature and Ideas, Amandla, Illuminations, The Teacher's Voice, and Margie. Her recently completed first collection of poetry is Zero is the Whole I Fall into at Night.
View Full Curriculum Vitae
Guidelines for Social Justice Work
Awards & Honors
- Outstanding Faculty Award, MOSAIC Office, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs: 2009.
- Vagina Warrior Award for Teaching (with Massachusetts State Representative Dianne Wilkerson and student activist Nell Maggio), Boston, Massachusetts: 2007.
- Meiko Hill Peacemaker Award for Teaching, Boston, Massachusetts: 2005.
- Gustavus Myers Award for Outstanding Book on Human Rights in North America presented to Beyond a Dream Deferred: Multicultural Education and the Politics of Excellence: 1994.
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), Summer Seminar Fellow in Morality and Society, Boston University: 1994.
- Rockefeller Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Afro-American Studies, Princeton University: 1992-1993.
- American Association of University Women (AAUW), Educational Foundation Dissertation Fellowship: 1989.
- Ford Foundation Grant for Project on Women and Gender in the Curriculum: 1987.
- Political Research Associates Award for Scholarship: 1997-1999.