BOSTON (April 11, 2007) — In an April 10 "New York Times" op-ed, Gwen Ifill, a 1977 graduate of Simmons College and a nationally known public television broadcaster, addressed the racist and sexist comments radio host Don Imus recently made about the Rutgers University women's basketball team.
In her piece, Ifill writes, "This country will only flourish once we consistently learn to applaud and encourage the young people who have to work harder just to achieve balance on the unequal playing field. Let's see if we can manage to build them up and reward them, rather than opting for the cheapest, easiest, most despicable shots."
Ifill is a senior correspondent for public television's "The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer" and the moderator and managing editor of "Washington Week."
To read the entire op-ed, click here
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight