BOSTON (January 14, 2010) — Simmons College student Kassie Carlson received the 2009 CHAMP Homes Fragile Earth Award from the Housing for All Corporation at its annual award ceremony on Dec. 12 in Hyannis, Mass. CHAMP Homes is a program of the Housing for All Corporation and provides housing for the homeless on Cape Cod, Mass., and the surrounding islands.
Carlson, a senior at Simmons College, was one of four recipients of the Fragile Earth Award; recipients are chosen for their actions to protect the environment. Carlson received the award for her work with the Food Not Bombs program. Once a week with the organization, she delivers food to more than 150 people, as well as hats and gloves to them in the winter. She uses a bicycle with a pizza trailer for deliveries, which uses zero carbon dioxide. Carlson also traveled to Paris last summer to see how Food Not Bombs is active in Europe.
Carlson works as a fundraiser for the Boston Symphony Orchestra. She has volunteered with other non-profits near her hometown of Hyannis, Mass., such as the Big Brother Big Sister Association and the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Simmons College is a nationally recognized private university located in the heart of Boston. It offers an undergraduate education for women, and renowned coeducational graduate programs in health sciences, education, liberal arts, social work, library and information science, and communications management, as well as the nation's first MBA program designed specifically for women.
- Sports Icon and Humanitarian Billie Jean King is Simmons College’s 2014 Commencement Speaker, May 9
February 27, 2014
- Simmons College to Host Public Forums on National Health Care Reform, Feb. 25, April 3 & 14
February 20, 2014
- Trustman Art Gallery Presents: "Like Water: Photographs by Mary Lang"
February 19, 2014
- Simmons School of Social Work, the First School of Social Work in the Nation, Launches Online Master’s Program
February 18, 2014
- Simmons College Joins Mount Holyoke and Smith for Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars Program Focused on Emerging Women Leaders
January 29, 2014
- See All 2014 Releases »
- 2013 Release Archive
- 2012 Release Archive
- 2011 Release Archive
- 2010 Release Archive
- 2009 Release Archive
- 2008 Release Archive
- 2007 Release Archive
- 2006 Release Archive
- 2005 Release Archive
- 2004 Release Archive
Subscribe to Feed
Director of Marketing/Communications
Kalimah Redd Knight